Duration: 24 (Excluding EPA)
A work based learning programme designed for the role of a software developer to build and test simple, high quality code across front end, logic and database layers.
A developer will typically be working as part of a larger team, in which they will have responsibility for some of the straight forward elements of the overall project. The developer will need to be able to interpret design documentation and specifications.
During the programme learners must achieve one internationally recognised vendor or professional qualification. We suggest it be an EMC: Data Science associate qualification.
DEVELOPING CORE KNOWLEDGE:
- Understands and operates at all stages of the software development life-cycle
- Understands the similarities and differences (taking into account positives and negatives of both approaches) between agile and waterfall software development methodologies
- Understands how teams work effectively to produce software and contributes appropriately
- Understands and applies software design approaches and patterns and can interpret and implement a given design, compliant with security and maintainability requirements
- Understands and responds to the business environment and business issues related to software development
DEVELOPING CORE SKILLS:
- Writes good quality code (logic) with sound syntax in at least one language
- User interface: can develop effective user interfaces for at least one channel
- Data: can effectively link code to the database/data sets
- Can test code and analyse results to correct errors found using either V-model manual testing and/or using unit testing
- Problem solving: can apply structured techniques to problem solving, can debug code and can understand the structure of programmes in order to identify and resolve issues
- Create simple data models and software designs to communicate understanding of the program
- Create basic analysis artefacts, such as user cases and/or user stories
- Understand and utilise skills to build, manage and deploy code into enterprise environments
- Development life-cycle can operate at all stages of the software development life-cycle with increasing breadth and depth overtime with initial focus on build and test.
DEVELOPING CORE BEHAVIOURS:
- Logical and creative thinking skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility
*The End Point Assessment duration for this Apprenticeship is 3 months